Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cat Calls from Cars

I had this whole post written about why women blame other women for men's mistakes, but blogger crashed as i was posting it, and saved it at the very beginning. I have no interest in re-writing it. Instead I will write about my walk home.

I will never undersatnd why men yell at women through car windows, but it's incredibly popular to do in philadelphia. Screaming "nice tits" at a woman and driving by does not make a woman want to sleep with you. I know that's a shock, but seriously guys there are better ways to get a woman to like you. While misguided, usually the shouts are complimentary. They might be degrading or slightly offensive, but the intent seems to be to compliment a part of your body that these men find attractive.

Tonight I walked home from Doobies at about 1 a.m. Not exactly the smartest thing I could have done, but it was broad st. and well lit, so i decided that it would be okay. (I didn't have cash for cab fare, and there were no busses passing by.) As I was walking a silver volkswagon station wagon passed by me, and a male voice screamed out the window "fat-ass whore". Since I don't know anyone who drives a silver volkswagon station wagon, it had to be a stranger. This insult surprised and offended me, not because of the insult itself, but how personal the insult was. It also gave me great information on exactly what type of person decided to yell it.

"Fat ass": That's easy enough. Clearly, someone who observes well. It doesn't take much to see that I have a rather well defined bedonkadonk. I was built with childbearing hips and a love of chocolate, it is only natural that my tuchas is wide. Nothing I wear hides it. It's just there. In addition to having stunning observational skills, i will surmise that this man is caucasian. Now, I don't mean to racially profile, because most men i have dated have been white and fans of my larger bedonkadonk, but sterotypically white men like their women with large boobs and no ass. Everytime a man of african-american or latino decent has referred to my "fat ass" it has been with admiration or at least an appreciation of my curves. So to start with, we have a white man with good observational skills.

"Whore": This stung quite a bit more. I was walking alone, yes, but i was wearing an ankle-length skirt and a tee-shirt. If anything, I looked like an orthodox jew. Nothing I was wearing radiated whore. And further more, I don't think even if someone knows me that I radiate the term whore. I mean I am a woman with healthy view of sexuality, so maybe "slut-muffin", but not whore. Give me slightly more credit than that. So the only thing I can then infer about this mystery man, is that he was drunk after being recently dumped by his cheating girlfriend. The drunk would lower the inhibitions enough to shout at random women on the street, while the recently dumped due to infiedelity would explain the "whore" and anger.

So instead of being upset and offended by this white, observational, recently dumped drunk man I actually feel sorry for him. He clearly doesn't know how to deal with his feelings, and if he continues this path of heavy drinking and insulting women... he will never get laid again.

Damn shame.... I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali, this is a fantastic, hilarious post! What's with you and Meg H. both writing about fat asses in recent weeks? Anyway, I'm right there with you, with the big butt, your profile of the catcaller and everything else :)

Jess said...

I enjoy your logic!

Maybe it was all a joke - because you were dressed so un-whore like, and you do not have a fat ass (yeah, that's right, I said it, fight me on it), maybe he thought it was opposite day or something. Maybe he has tourettes!

Clearly, this man is a victim in some way.

:-)

Oh, and I think your original topic would make for a good next entry!

Stylings of a Selective Amnesiac said...

if you actually think that sort of thing through instead of being offended -- it makes a lot of sense.

maybe he's that awkward guy who can't even talk to girls in the first place... now he's just a violent bastard with a horrible view towards women.

it could've been mother teresa out there getting handed the same slur...

Val Pal said...

::applause::

Rather, ::standing ovation::

I'm not really sure what's worse though: The fact that your assumptions were most likely correct, or the fact that your assumptions were most likely correct and that man was behind the wheel of a car...

<3
-Val